DIY oaty fruity cereal
100 g dried fruit, such as sultanas, raisins, dried apricots
50 g mixed unsalted nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts
50 g mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, poppy
400 g porridge oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon , optional
milk or natural yoghur , to serve
BIRCHER (SERVES 4)
1 eating apple
roughly 400 ml milk
- To make the basic cereal, roughly chop any larger dried fruit and nuts, then place into a large bowl along with the seeds, oats and cinnamon (if using).
- Tip into an airtight container.
- Now you have two choices. To serve your cereal as it is, place a handful of cereal (roughly 50g) per person into your serving bowls.
- Add milk or natural yoghurt and chopped fresh fruit, if you like, then serve.
- To make bircher muesli for 4 people, add 200g of the cereal to a large bowl.
- Place a box grater on a board, then coarsely grate the apple, discarding the core. Add it to your oaty cereal.
- Pour over enough milk to cover, then mix well.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm, then pop in the fridge to soak overnight.
- When you’re ready to eat, give the bircher a good stir, divide between your bowls, then serve with chopped fresh fruit, if you like.
- PRINT THIS RECIPE (UK)
PRINT THIS RECIPE (USA)