Apple & pecan porridge
160 g rolled oats
600 ml milk or organic soya milk
APPLE & PECAN TOPPING
30 g unsalted pecans
1 eating apple
- For the basic porridge, place the oats and the milk (or 600ml water) into a large pan over a medium heat, and add a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a steady simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often to give you a smooth, creamy porridge, and loosening with extra milk, if needed.
- Serve as is, or while it’s blipping away in the pan, follow the next steps to prepare the apple and pecan topping.
- Snap the pecans up into little pieces, then toast in a small dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove the apple stalk, then use a box grater to coarsely grate it onto a chopping board (core and all).
- Stir the grated apple and a little maple syrup through then porridge, then divide between bowls.
- Scatter the pecans on top, then drizzle with a little extra maple syrup, if you like.