Avocado & slow-roasted tomatoes on toast
4 plum or 12 cherry tomatoes
1 bunch of fresh basil
3 ripe avocados
4 slices of sourdough bread
150 g feta cheese
4 handfuls of rocket
- You can do this part the night before. Preheat the oven to 150ºC/gas 1. Halve and place the tomatoes cut-side up on a baking tray, season generously and drizzle with oil.
- Roast slowly for 1½–2 hours, or until they are sticky and dried out. You can make batches of these and keep them in the fridge as they’re good with pasta, salads, grilled meat – almost everything.
- When you’re ready for breakfast, pick the basil leaves, then pound in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt until you have a paste. Pour in a good splash of oil and squeeze in the juice of ½ lemon.
- Halve your avocados and scoop out the flesh. Place in a bowl, squeeze in the other lemon half and season with salt and pepper. Gently mash with a fork to bring it all together.
- Toast the bread, then divide between 4 plates and generously spread on the avocado and top with the tomatoes.
- Top each serve with crumbled feta, a handful of rocket and a drizzle of basil oil.